My Life, My Choice

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"Gusto kong matutong mag-drive..."

Technically, I can drive. I can move a car from Point A to Point B, albeit only in a straight fashion :). No fancy U-Turns for me, no complicated intersections, no freeways please. I can press the gas pedal and the break, period. Does that fall under the category of driving? :D

Last night, I was craving for soda. I graciously offered my last, precious can to a newfound friend. At around 730pm, my throat was aching for a can of cold, thrist-quenching, brain-freezing soda...regardless of the brand. I asked my husband sweetly to drive to the nearest Shoprite to get me some (I know he's into the stuff as much as I am), but he politely declined and told me "Ikaw na lang bumili. Magdrive ka..." My mind was churning questions --- Moi? Drive unsupervised? In nighttime? Are you insane? Are you playing a cruel joke on me? I may be a soda addict but I'm not crazy. To my surprise my mouth blurted out the exact opposite of what I'm thinking, I said "OK. Alagaan mo mga bata."

And so my first purposeful, unsupersived, night driving commenced. As I walked towards the car I made the sign of the cross (venturing to unchartered territory makes me feel I needed an extra boost from my Big Boss), I also made a mental note to open the lights.

I sat down, felt an extra surge of energy and started the car. When I was trying to manuever a reverse my PA started. I don't know which way to manuever, it took me several, lifelong minutes before I was able to move from the parking spot to the road. I nearly severed a parking sign :(

As I was driving, I tried to look at the mirror -- DANG! I forgot to adjust the mirror, prayed that nobody was following me. Thank heavens I safely arrived at my destination.

Next problem, how to park...I chose the most car-free spot. I tried to put my car between the two white lines to avoid hogging more space than necessary, unsuccessful in the first attempt. I tried again, no luck...again, car won't budge :). I then decided, I'll make it better next time.

Getting out of the car was exhilirating. I felt good to be alive. Did my shopping. Smiled at people. Felt triumphant about the whole process.

Going home was better. Uneventful at most. I was still on a "high" when I finally settled my groceries on the floor, I gave my hubby a great bear hug. Had he tolerated my fear of driving, I'll be writing a blog that exactly fits these words "Gusto kong matutong mag-drive..."

4 Comments:

  • update your blog mah dear!!!! :-D

    By Blogger tabel, At 5:59 PM  

  • mommy! may blog ka na pala ah..nice! :D

    By Blogger Doths, At 6:11 PM  

  • hahaha! congrats weng! ako din gusto ko matuto magdrive (kahit na wala akong kotse)

    updates! updates!

    By Blogger lala, At 9:48 AM  

  • may blog pala ako. hehehe. update ko kayo pag may naiba sa routine ko. i.e. pag dating dito ng nanay ko :D

    By Blogger weng, At 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home