My Life, My Choice

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Haircut 101

Since birth Jaira has not had a benefit of a haircut. Maybe because little girls looks nice with long, flowing hair or maybe because she's too hyper to sit still for a couple of minutes, let alone sit still with somebody trying to cut her tresses. Toddlers have this fear of mutilation. Toddlerhood is not a good stage to start cutting children's hair :D

I've been debating whether or not to cut her hair. She may not be that attached to it but I am. We almost have the same hair length, I don't want to part with mine yet so I guess she has the same feelings with hers. But I had to let go of my sentimental reasons to give way to these practical issues. (1) the heat wave that's been sweeping our part of the world has made her hair unmanageable (2) she looks like the kiddie version of Sadako after a day of rough and tumble with her two siblings (3) hair strands poking her eyes irritates her and makes her cranky (4) I finally found the courage to cut her hair and make her the subject of my recently acquired hairdressing skills.

Monday, July 31, 2006. First things first, keep her occupied. Placed Jaira infront of the PC to distract her but she was so excited with the games at nickjr.com that she can't keep still. Oh well better this than have her run around the house. As I gather her hair strands on my fingertips I can't seem to find the courage to go through the motions of snipping her tresses. That's the sentimental Piscean in me. :)

Well. A mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do. So, with all the heaviness in my heart I snipped. Voila, I cut off like 8 inches of Jaira's hair. When the unsevered strands fell on her shoulder I completely regretted not studying her hair before I snipped. There were like 4 layers in the cut. 4 uneven layers. The shortest being just under her earlobe. Cutting it to that length will make her hair too short. So I did my best and gave her my version of the layered look. The verdict, go see at the pics below.

All in all, Jaira was cooperative. I was a nervous wreck everytime I snip, afraid that she will squirm and I will cut through her skin and not her hair. Through a simple haircut, I had some wins: (a)I found the process rewarding (b)she had lesser but more manageable hair (c) She didn't get emotionally scarred from what happened, she doesn't have a clue of what transpired (d) I conquered my fear. Not bad for a session of Haircut 101.



4 Comments:

  • naks! may second job ka na pala dyan ha! tago mo hair ni Jai. irst haircut pala nya yan eh. kung ikaw ang resident haircut ng Sebastian brood, sino maggugupit sa hair mo? si Jai? hehehe

    By Blogger tabel, At 12:24 AM  

  • uy ang husay :) bagay kay jaira!

    By Blogger lala, At 7:58 AM  

  • galing ah! buti nga nagupitan na sya. masyado mahaba na buhok. pero kakahinayang nga rin hihi super init no?! sakit sa balat. di tulad sa 'tin may hangin...hehe

    cute talaga ni jai! ay ni princess pala! kiss mo ko sa inanak ko.

    By Blogger raz, At 8:20 AM  

  • hehehe gumagaling sa paggupit dahil sa kaka practice :) baka ito nga 2nd calling ko.

    lala, ganda ng boracay pics niyo. enjoy cna madir at padir :D

    mana sa mommy c princess e. mana din sa ninang. saan ka pa? ;)

    By Blogger weng, At 9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home